Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July South African Style

On Friday, I woke up kind of sad, because I was not going to be able to celebrate the 4th of July at home, but it turns out that the South Africans know how to host an American party!!!  After work everyone on base piled into the ministry vehicles and headed out to the Spur (like TGI Fridays or Chilli's).  When we got there we were handed a BIG FAT Cheeseburger, fries and a Coke... YUMMY!  This was good, because I had been craving a juicy burger for a few weeks.  After dinner, we were brought our dessert (ice cream and chocolate sauce), it too was very good.  As if the night couldn't any better, each table was given a stack of sparklers.  So, we waited for the opportune time to light 'em up.  When we heard Bruce Springstein's, Born in the USA, we knew it was time.  Everyone lit their sparklers and the lights in the restaurant were switched off and for 30 seconds or so it felt like the 4th of July.  After dinner, we all returned to base for a movie.  We watched an all time great and 4th of July great, "The Sandlot."  It turns out that it wasn't so bad to be in Africa during the 4th, because South Africans sure do know how to make it feel a little like home.  Hope you all had a great 4th, Lauren and I sure did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for adding the new posts, it moved the picture of the ugly pregnent "he-she" down the page so it is not the first thing you see when you bring up your blog. I so enjoy checking in to see how you are doing, God is so good and it is great to see you enjoying your time. We all look forward to your return to the states and pray for you daily.
God Bless
Todd Ball

Unknown said...

Hi my friends! I have missed you guys so much recently! Its so great to hear about the kiddos and all that you're doing. I'm so encouared everytime I read it. L, I thought of you and Pratt the other day bc I went to Goodwill and got some t-shirts and it just wasn't the same:)