Monday, June 9, 2008

Our home away from home . . .








Several of you had asked about our small hut that we are currently living in. The base refers to it as a rondavel. Basically a round room with a bed, couch, side table, armoire, sink, and mirror. Our bathroom is a separate rondavel without any form of heat. Do not worry though, after a few minutes hot water is accessible!! The great thing about our small room is that it stays fairly warm with one space heater! We have learned how to layer on cold nights. For example, last night when it got down to 15F I slept with gloves, three shirts, two pants, and my wonderful down slippers(thanks Lindsay)!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. I just got caught up on your e-mails. I am happy you too have made it through your first week. Several more to go. I know you may be tired at times, but keep on keepin on. God is doing amazing things through you. Stacy and I miss you guys. We will pray for you as you continue your journey. P.S.-I got a motorcycle. I am like a kid (a safe kid) all over again. We love you. Keep the e-mails coming.

Soon to be Hyland's said...

Awww....brother....it is so cute. But it looks like you are just as tall as the ceilings would be. Just kidding. It looks fun. I hope you guys are having a blast. You are missing all the hurricane weather and tornadoes. Its been very rainy here lately. Anywho...have a great time and we miss you. I love you both!

BJ said...

Hi guys.... I love your accommodations!! The room is small but filled with two people that love and care about others. I hope you two are staying warm and healthy...I love you both, Dad

Betsy said...

Lauren, This is Betsy (the other Smith). It's exciting to see how God is using you in Africa. I will be praying for you and Tre as I pray for my other friends in Zambia.